New Year Black Eyed Peas and Collard Greens
Southern black-eyed peas with collard greens is a New Year's special meal that I grew up on every year. Tasty by themselves, even better combined into one dish!
Ring in the New Year with lucky, tower-grown collard greens!
Prep Time: 30 mins
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 12-16 ounces of Copiana collard greens, fresh, rinsed, stems removed, and chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup ham, cooked and diced
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, more to taste
- 31 ounces black-eyed peas, drained
- Preheat cast-iron Dutch oven on medium for a couple of minutes.
- Add oil, garlic, and onion, stir, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add collards to your pan, stir, and cover for 5 minutes.
- Add ham, salt, black pepper, and water or broth. Lower heat to 3-4—cover and cook for 25 minutes.
- Add drained beans and stir together—cover and cook for 10 minutes. Serve right away with cornbread or biscuits.